PENNE with SAUSAGE, RED POTATOES, & GREEN BEANS
This recipe comes from Liz Edmunds, Recues Dinner Cookbook. It’s another in my huge collection of books. I used to collect material, and now it’s cookbooks. This is super easy to make, and one even my husband really likes. It’s another great throw-together in a hurry meal! The sausage is delicious in this dish, but you can substitute ham, or shredded chicken (Rotisserie) instead.
YOU WILL NEED:
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
*or other pasta that your family enjoys
4 small red potatoes, quartered
8 ounces spicy Italian sausage (ground)
*Use the sausage your family likes
1/4 cup minced yellow or red onion (opt)
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 (14.5 – ounce can of cut green beans, drained)
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan cheese, plus additional
1. Cook the pasta according to pkg. directions. Drain
2. Steam the potatoes or cook them in boiling salted water until tender. At the same time, steam the beans or cook in the microwave until tender, 6 to 12 minutes. (If using canned beans, just add them with the potatoes and pasta.
3. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in skillet over medium heat. Remove any unwanted grease.
Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is soft and the sausage is completely cooked through. Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the green beans, potatoes, and pasta. Mix well with a large spoon. Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the mixture. Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve immediately, and pass the extra cheese around.