We all love the Oriental Chicken Salad at Applebee’s. Descrition: “Crisp Oriental greens topped with crunchy chicken fingers, toasted almonds & crispy rice noodles tossed in a light Oriental vinaigrette.” Here is a recipe, that tastes very similar, and might just hit the spot, on one of these hot summer nights.
*This recipe will serve 2 people, so adjust it for the servings you’ll need.
6 Tablespoons honey
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
2 Teapsoons Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1/4 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 to 4 Cups Vegetable Oil (for frying)
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup flour
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
*You can find these in almost any grocery store, they make a very crispy crust
1 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp Black pepper
2 skinless Boneless Chicken Breast Fillets
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped red cabbage
1 cup chopped Napa cabbage
2 carrots, julienned
2 green onions chopped or red onion
2 Tablespoons sliced toasted Almonds
2/3 cup crispy chow mein noodles.
1. Blend together all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl with a whisk or electric mixer. Put dressing in refrigerator to chill while you prepare the salad.
2. Preheat oil in deep fryer or deep pan over medium heat. You want the temperature of the oil to be around 350 degrees F.
3. In a small, shallow bowl beat egg, add milk, and mix well.
4. In another bowl, combine flour with the Panko bread crumbs, salt & pepper
5. Cut each chicken breast into 4 of 5 long strips. Dip each strip of chicken first into egg mixture then into the flour mixture, coating each piece completely.
6. Fry each chicken finger for 5 minutes or until coating has darkened to golden brown.
*If you are short on time, use Tyson Breaded Chicken Tenders instead, & deep fry them. The other is much better though.
7. Prepare salad by tossing the chopped romaine with the cabbages and carrots.
8. Sprinkle green onion on top of the lettuce. I prefer red onion.
9. Toast almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light brown.
*Honey roasted sunflower seeds or cashews are also amazing in this salad
10. Sprinkle toasted almonds over the salad, then add the chow mein noodles.
11. Cut the chicken into smaller strips, and place the chicken onto the salad forming a pile in the middle.
12. Serve with the salad dressing on the side.