Recipe from Hometown Recipes – Mildred Hennon
- CRUMB MIXTURE:
- 1 3/4 cup quick Oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soft butter (no substitutes)
- 8 ounces pitted whole dates (chopped fine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine crumb mixture ingredients and stir until well blended. Press half of mixture into a well-greased 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, stir together filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly and smooth. Pour filling evenly over crumb mixture. Spread remaining crumb mixture over filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut into squares and serve when cool.
Try adding 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the crumb mixture.