LEMON GLAZED ANGEL FOOD CUPCAKES with RASPBERRIES & CREAM
This morning, I had the food channel on of course! I wasn’t really watching, but I was listening while cleaning up the house. I can’t even tell you who was really on, but I do know that they were making my husbands favorite cake. Angel Food Cake, is a staple in this house. I usually buy the cake mix, and whip it together and it turns out perfectly most every time. Well today, I went to grab one of those cake mixes, and I was out! Now what……make it from scratch. If the food channel can do it, so can I……and I did! Surprisingly it was very simple.
I went to grab my Angel Food Cake pan, and happened to spot the cupcake pans. My brain froze for a minute or two while I processed what I was thinking. The cupcake pans won out! I’ve actually never made Angel Food Cake in cupcakes before, but I certainly will again. You know how everyone loves the golden crust on the cake, and tends to steal it off the rest of the cake. Well….NO MORE! You can only steal it off your own cupcake now.
If you don’t want to make this from scratch, just buy a mix, and it will still turn out deliciously perfect!
After the cupcakes were golden brown, they looked a little plain jane. My husband will want them just this way. I of course, always want something a little grander. (sweeter) One of my favorite cakes is the Lemon Jello Cake, that my Mom made often. We all loved it. For that recipe go here.
She sometimes would turn that cake into perfect little lemon cupcakes. AH-HA….I had an idea, and put it to work. I simply made Angel Food Cupcakes, glazed them with the lemon glaze that is supposed to top the Lemon Jello Cake. Oh………it is delicious! You can eat the cupcakes just like that, or go one step further. Top the lemon glazed cupcakes with Raspberries and Cream!
Think of it this way……Angel Food Cupcakes is very low in fat and Calories. You can afford to add a little sugar and berries and cream to the top!
I betcha can’t eat just one!
The lemon glaze is delicious….I consumed two of these today!
I of course, made plain ones for my husband who doesn’t care for sweets!
Angel Food Cake or Cupcakes
1-1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large)
1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup granulated sugar
1. Place egg whites in a very large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times. Beat egg whites, cream of tarter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
3. Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat sifting and folding in the remaining flour mixture three more times, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time.
4. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife or a narrow metal spatula.
5. Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. (The crust of the cake will be golden and slightly cracked.) Immediately invert the cake in the pan, standing the tube pan on its legs or resting the center tube over a tall-necked bottle. Cool cake thoroughly. Loosen the sides of cake from pan; remove cake from pan. To serve, use a serrated knife to slice the cake into wedges. Makes 12 servings.
I’m sorry I neglected to mention the approximate baking time for cupcakes. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full…no more! I baked mine for about 15 minutes, but every oven varies.Watch for the golden brown color on the top. I cooked mine on the middle rack of the oven. Hope this helps.
For the glaze:
Mix 2 cups powdered sugar, grated peel of one lemon, and juice of two lemons. Prick the top the of hot cupcakes with a fork or a toothpick, pour the glaze over the tops of each, then put back into the still warm but turned off oven for 2 to 3 minutes.