Today . . . I feel “happy.”
2 good reasons.
2 good cookies.
These cookies . . . bring out my happy.
My husband brings out my happy.
I’ve been married to the same great man for almost 36 years. Marriage isn’t easy. Anything worthwhile isn’t easy.
I’ve learned a few things over those years . . .
You must get up every morning & strive to make your partner feel “loved.”
You must “give” more than you take.
You must ask for “forgiveness” & you must also “forgive.”
You must not just listen, but “hear.”
You must always “remember,” that the grass is not greener on the other side. Make your own grass greener!
You can be mad, but not mean.
You can have space, but not secrets.
You can’t expect more than you give.
Then . . . you will be “happy.”
If you want sweet, you must give sweet.
2 good cookies = “Happy”
Make some of your own Happy for Valentine’s Day!
Recipe: Sadie’s little Black Recipe Book
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch (this is not a typo)
- Lemon Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (get zest from lemon before juicing)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and vanilla. Beat well. Add flour and cornstarch and beat until well combined.
- DO NOT refrigerate.
- Roll by hand into 1-inch balls or use a well packed scoop, placing cookies about an inch apart on an engrossed cookie sheet or split, as they do not spread much during baking. (Dough will be slightly sticky)
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until bottom edges are light brown. Cool on wire racks before frosting with the lemon glaze.
- For the Glaze:
- In a medium bowl combine butter, zest, juice, and sugar. Stir until well mixed. Place a piece of wax paper beneath the wire racks where the cookies have been cooling and drizzle generous amount of glaze over cookies.
- *Cookies are also delicious rolled in powdered sugar instead.
* For best results when using Lemons, choose the largest lemon you can find and roll it on the counter for about a minute before juicing, in order to get as much juice as possible.
*Zest only the yellow part of the lemon peel, the white portion is bitter.