Yesterday morning . . . I opened an email and eyed a recipe for Fudgy Rocky Road Bars, on Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food site.
The description read as follows:
What’s an incredibly rich, super-easy, and perfectly packable treat? These rocky road fudge bars! All it takes to make this stellar dessert is a few simple steps: Just layer melted chocolate and chopped almonds on top of marshmallow-fluff-topped graham crackers, chill, and cut. Bring these along for your next picnic or road trip, and your store-bought granola bar doesn’t stand a chance. This sweet is a cinch to make. Keep a supply on hand for lunchboxes, weekends, and casual entertaining.
My eyes glanced through the list of ingredients & I had everything on that list, but not a lot of time on my hands.
Thirty minutes . . . yes . . . I could do it.
They are super simple to make. These bars are extremely rich and gooey and fudgy and nutty and delicious. S’mores . . . move over!
These actually cut quite well, straight out of the refrigerator. The bars you’re looking at have been sitting for a while. The camera had to be found . . . lens popped on . . . tripod/no tripod/ style/no style . . . well you get the picture!
This picture is before I began cutting them into bars. It helps to lightly moisten your sharp knife with hot water, then the knife will slide through easily.
Notes: I lined my pan with parchment paper first, and even sprayed it with a touch a cooking spray. (I used the parchment that is one side foil/one side parchment – it’s so easy to mold in your baking dish) It might not look it, but the whole pan of fudgy bars popped right out even after just thirty minutes of chill time. I do recommend 1 hour though.
I’m always in a hurry! I neatly trimmed away the edges and placed the cut bars on a plate to take to my daughter who lives just down the road. She needs the calories!
If you need a quick, gooey treat this weekend . . . your family will love these “easy to make” Fudgy Rocky Road Bars.
Hope you have a one sweet weekend!
Fudgy Rocky Road Bars
These bars are a cinch to make! Salted nuts like peanuts or cashews would also be nice for a salty sweet taste.
- Yield: Makes 18 bars 1x
- 8 graham crackers
- 1 1/2 cups natural almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with graham crackers, breaking them to fit if necessary. Bake until the crackers are lightly toasted and fragrant, about 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds and dollop with marshmallow cream.
- In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over marshmallow creme; working quickly, swirl together with a thin-bladed knife.
- Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Cut into 18 squares.
Chefs notes: Line your pan with parchment paper, so that the whole tray of bars can easily be lifted from the pan.
Salted nuts would also be delicious for that Salty-Sweet treat.
Refrigerate, tightly wrapped in plastic, up to 2 days.