Here’s another favorite holiday cookie, that is so flaky and delicious. They are made with ready puff-pastry. They look difficult to make, but are very simple. Be sure to make these cookies for your holiday table!
YOU WILL NEED:
2/3 CUP CHOPPED ALMONDS, WALNUTS OR HAZELNUTS
2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR, PLUS EXTRA FOR SPRINKLING
1/2 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
8 OUNCES PUFF PASTRY, DEFROSTED IF FROZEN
1 EGG, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1. Lightly butter two large baking sheets, preferably nonstick. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the nuts, sugar and cinnamon until finely ground.
2. Sprinkle the work surface with sugar and roll out the pastry to a 20×8 inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Brush the pastry lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle evenly with half of the nut mixture.
3. Fold in the long edges of the pastry to meet in the center and flatten with a rolling pin. Brush with egg and sprinkle with most of the nut mixture. Fold in the edges again to meet in the center, brush with egg and sprinkle with the remaining nut mixture. Fold one side of the pastry over the other.
4. Cut the pastry crossways into 3/8 inch thick slices and place about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
5. Spread the pastry edges apart to form a wedge shape. Chill the palmiers for at least 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
6. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until golden. Carefully turn them over halfway through the cooking time. Keep and eye on them as the sugar can easily scorch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.