Favorite Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut Frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats (oatmeal)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- CARAMEL COCONUT GLAZE (I usually double this)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk, cream or evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or Almonds
- Boil the water in a small saucepan. Stir in the oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg onto a square of wax paper (or mix in a bowl). Set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add vanilla and eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the oats mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Mix the glaze and spread it on the warm cake.
- For the Coconut Glaze:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut and nuts.
- Spread over the warm cake.
- The cake can be served just as it is, or place the cake under the broiler in your oven, just until light golden brown. (This is what we like to do. It’s delicious!)