This is our families favorite potato dish. Layer browned chicken, pork chops or even thick slices of ham in between the raw potatoes for a scrumptious main dish.
- 4 to 5 large potatoes cut into thin french fries or enough to fill a 9×13 glass baking dish
- 1 pint whipping cream- 2 cups
- salt and pepper over the potatoes and cream
- 2 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Cut your potatoes into thin french fry strips, and lay the fries, in a 9×13″ glass pan. (Arctic circle or McDonald’s fries type of thin!)
- Pour all of the cream over the top of the fries.
- Salt and pepper the potatoes very generously.
- Sprinkle at least 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese over the top.
- Sprinkle Parsley flakes on top of the cheese.
- Spray a bit of cooking spray on the side of the foil that will face the cheese. This assures that the foil won’t stick to the cheese after it melts.
- Cover with foil, and poke a fork through the top of the foil, 2 or 3 times to allow a little steam to escape. This way, your cream doesn’t boil over into your oven.
- Place your potatoes in the middle of the oven. Cook at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- During the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking lower your rack one more step. This makes the bottom of your potatoes, brown and crispy.
- Remove potatoes from the oven, remove the foil and eat!
Main dish ideas: Dredge chicken breasts or thick pork chops in flour and brown well on both sides. Layer in between potatoes. Pour cream over all and season with salt and pepper and parsley. Cover with grated cheese. Ham is also very good. Cook as per directions.