This happens to be one of my favorite recipes!
CINNAMON SUGARED PECANS, ALMONDS OR WALNUTS
- 1 large egg white
- 3 cups pecan halves or other raw nuts
- 1/3 cup cinnamon & sugar
- CINNAMON SUGAR MIXTURE:
- Use one tablespoon cinnamon + 1/3 cup sugar and stir together
- Be sure to use good quality cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whisk the egg white in a cup. Pour the egg whites over the nuts, stirring until the nuts are coated with egg white.
- In a small bowl, stir the cinnamon + sugar + and salt together. Stir in the vanilla. Add the cinnamon sugar mixture to the nuts, a little a time, while stirring.
- Spread the coated nuts on an ungreased baking sheet.
- This step is optional, but I’ve found that it makes a world of difference:
- After spreading the nuts on the silpat, or parchment paper, sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup of granulated sugar over the nuts. Don’t stir – just sprinkle the sugar over the top. Place in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes without stirring, or stir only once or twice. Use a spatula to remove the nuts from the hot baking sheet immediately. If you use a Silpat, the nuts can cool on the silpat. Allow to cool thoroughly before storing in tightly closed container.