It’s causes one of those love, hate kind of relationships.
It has huge brilliant yellow flowers that seem to transform into bright, waxy, shiny green vegetables overnight. And then more flowers come, making more zucchini. And then more and more and more!
Pretty soon those cute little zukes are the size of over-grown baseball bats and you’re wondering . . . what in the heck do I do with them all? This is the reason my garden doesn’t have any! My daughters garden does, however . . . and she shares.
Did you know that Zucchini packs a slew of vitamins and minerals and it’s low in fat? In the culinary world, zucchini is treated as a vegetable and is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish. I like Zucchini in soups, panko fried zucchini in the shape of fries or coins or rolled around in parmesan cheese & tossed with a variety of other veggies. Oh . . . it makes me hungry just thinking about all the possibilities.
Today, we’re tossing Savory to the side and presenting SWEET.
In this house, one of us loves Chocolate Chips . . . and the other certainly does not! My loaf is loaded with Chocolate chips and walnuts and my husbands is just loaded with nuts. Mine is better . . . much better!
This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is nice and crisp around the edges, like a good brownie. The middle is moist, yet has a bit of chew. It’s darn good. The recipe is quick and easy to throw together and it makes 2 nice size loaves. We like Walnuts, but pecans or hazelnuts are also really good. You can also make pretty muffins instead of using loaf pans. You should be able to get 12 to 15 nice size muffins. This yummy recipe comes from Paula Deen on Food Network, and it had so many perfect reviews, I just knew it would be a winner. It is!
If your garden is “runneth over” with Zucchini, or suddenly your doorbell rings and all you see is a basket of Zucchini . . . make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 2 loaves 1x
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Grease (2) 9 by 5-inch loaf pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, pecans or walnuts, chocholate chips, and orange zest. Stir in sifted ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped cream!