I’d like you to meet my favorite casserole.
I make it as often as I dare. I also make Broccoli Cheese Soup using the same basic ingredients found in this recipe. I figured it was about time I share that little tid bit with you. In fact, it also can be used to make a mean Cheesy Potato Soup with Crumbled Bacon.
Chicken Broccoli Supreme was originally posted way back in 2010, and it continues to be on the top ten most visited list.
You might remember it looking a bit like this picture below.
Same recipe . . . and a little learning about photography since then.
I do believe that the secret to the scrumptious taste of this casserole, is the HOMEMADE SAUCE! You don’t use canned soup for the base. It makes all the difference in the world. In fact, the sauce is so good that I use it as the base for many dishes. I’ll share some of those other dishes . . . later.
You could substitute another veggie for the Broccoli, if you turn your nose up at Broccoli. In fact, you could substitute ham for the chicken, and that would also be tasty. I also want you to know that this re-heats quite well. If you have leftovers, simply re-heat in the microwave until it is hot and bubbly again. Then turn on your broiler, and toast those yummy crumbs until they are crisp again.
. . . and that little tid bit: You can make delicious Cream based soups in a hurry, using the sauce from this recipe. You just don’t Bake it like you do when you make the Chicken Broccoli Supreme Casserole.
Notes – If making a soup: I like the thickness of this sauce/soup, but if you prefer your soup to be thinner, you can add a bit more chicken broth. Simple!
MAKE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP:
Instead of making a casserole, you can make a delicious Broccoli cheese soup or even a Cheesy Potato Soup. Follow the recipe below by making the Sauce. Over low heat, add 1 – 1/2 cups of grated cheese to the sauce and stir well until melted. Do not let the Cheese sauce/soup boil. Keep the heat low. Add small pieces of steamed broccoli to the soup. ( 1/2 to 1 lb. of broccoli)
Small pieces of chicken breasts is also very good in this soup.
MAKE CHEESY POTATO SOUP:
Before making the Sauce: Take 2 large potatoes & peel them. Cut the potatoes in small cubes. Cover the potatoes in cold water, and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain well, then add the potato cubes to the cheesy soup. Top with crumbled bacon & extra cheese.
You can also bake 2 potatoes in the microwave. Let the potatoes cool enough to be able to remove the peelings. Cut the potatoes into chunks, and add to the soup/sauce mixture.
CHEESY HAM SOUP:
Small chunks of smoked or Brown sugar Ham & sweet corn added to the sauce, also make a delicious soup.
- 1 – lb. fresh broccoli – Break in pieces, and steam for 2 minutes.
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts – Break up in small pieces
- 3 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese divided
- 2 tubes Ritz Crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter (use 1 stick of butter)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup Butter- melted
- ¼ cups Cornstarch, dissolved in ½ cup COLD Water
- ⅓ cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- a few red pepper flakes (opt)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1½ cups of the above Cheddar Cheese
- In greased 13×9 pan, layer the broccoli and chicken, then set aside.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine the melted butter, cornstarch dissolved in water, chicken broth, seasonings, and milk. Stir well, and continue stirring until sauce has thickened.
- Turn heat down to low, and add 1- ½ cups grated cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour over the chicken and broccoli.
- Top with 1- ½ cups grated cheddar cheese.
- Melt the butter, and add the poppy seeds, and stir well.
- Crush Ritz crackers in large zip-lock bag with a rolling pin. Don’t crush too small. Add crumbs to the melted butter. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
For Delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Make the sauce following the instructions above. (No Baking involved)
After adding cheese, make sure that you don’t let the sauce boil. Add small pieces of steamed broccoli. Small pieces of chicken are also very good if desired.
If the soup is thicker than you desire, add a bit more chicken broth.
Sprinkle Crispy bacon over the top of the soup!