CARROT-CAKE SANDWICH COOKIES
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1-8 ounce package of Cream Cheese
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons) at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla.
Using a kitchen Aid or good hand mixer, whip the butter until it’s light in color. Add the Cream cheese and whip again until very light. Add the confectioners Sugar one cup at a time, beating continuously. Add vanilla and whip again. (If you fill that it’s not quite the right consistency for you, add a bit of heavy Cream to thin it, or more sugar to thicken it.
You can also make this ahead of time, and keep in the fridge. When you are ready use it, let it come to room temperature, and whip again.FOR THE COOKIES
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nut
- 3/4 cup packed, finely grated, peeled carrots
- 1/3 cup dried currants or golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Make the cream cheese frosting, and set inside of fridge to chill while you make the cookies.
- Meanwhile, make cookies: In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugars, and egg and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt & soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until combined. Mix in oats, coconut, carrots, and raisins.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 10 to 12 minutes until edges are lightly brown, rotating baking sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Turn half the cookies over, bottom side up; dollop each with chilled cream-cheese filling. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread filling to edges.