I believe . . .
“A hand-written recipe, covered with splatters is like a warm hug from the past.”
Maybe, just maybe that’s why I cook . . . I bake. Those torn & splattered hand-written recipes are treasures. The ink has faded, but the memories have long lived on. Some recipes are made so often, that the actual recipe is really not even needed. You place it’s dirty face on the work surface, so you can see the mixing, stirring and hear the voices and laughter from the past.
When I’m long gone, my children and their children will still be making Applesauce Cookies. No doubt about it!
This simple recipe is one of those treasures. It’s still the most requested cookie in my house. Applesauce Raisin cookies, are a moist spice, cake like cookie. Rolled oats, raisins and large chunky walnuts are the perfect additions in this cookie, however . . . a handful of chocolate chips nestle in quite perfectly.
If you had been in my kitchen today . . . Oh the stories I could have told you, while we baked cookies. I would tell you sad stories of how my friends Mac (desktop, laptop & iPad) all went down, down down! Long story short . . . it was very ugly and very sad. It all started with one little pop-up!
Let me just tell you, that the Simply Mac guys should be called Genius Mac Guys. They worked feverishly, patiently and at no cost to me! I think in todays world, that it quite un-heard of. Thank you Simply Mac for putting me back together again. I was up, I was moving, I was dancing on this blog again.
That being said, it was short-lived.
WordPress is now doing auto up-dates, and one of those updates . . . didn’t update correctly, When I tried to log on to my site, it told me all this jibber jabber about data base table errors and so on and so on!
After much reading, crying and reading some more, I finally took a deep breath and stomped into the deep dark dungeon of my hosts server files called php admin. Yikes. Did you know you can repair tables there???? Not the kind you sit around either! I thought . . . What’s the worst thing that could happen? If that happens, then . . . I’ll start cleaning again!!!!
Applesauce Raisin Cookies – Most requested cookie!
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature or 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips (opt)
- Beat butter and sugar together until light & fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and beat again until combined. Add the applesauce and beat again.
- Add the flour, salt, soda, baking powder, cinnamon & cloves and beat until just combined.
- Stir in the rolled oats, raisins, nuts & chocolate chips & mix well.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls or use an ice cream scoop on cookie sheets.
- Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cookies cool on rack or paper towels before placing in container.
- These cookies freeze well.