Don’t fall over in disbelief.
I vowed that no matter what comes today . . . I would make a post!
I hope all of you have had a wonderful Christmas & the start of a great New Year.
Have I mentioned that we have have had a myriad of events in this household, and lots of company? We have. It’s been a lot of fun, a lot of work and a lot of cooking. Let’s face it . . . my company would think I was off my rocker if they saw how I set up for a photo shoot of Food.
Therefore . . . I didn’t do it!
I have a lot of New Years goals, mainly in the realm of studying more about lenses & my Camera. I do take pictures on Manual and understand that aspect of it, but have sooooooo much more to learn. My daughters have tried to also help their OLD MOM learn new tricks. They are actual photographers and snap pictures of real live people. Food Photography is slightly a different task. I love those websites & blogs that are willing to share their knowledge base with all of us . . .that are still learning to take good pic’s.
I found a copy cat recipe for Italian Nachos.
Thanks goes out to jabberwocky. Don’t you just love that name.
This recipe is reminiscent of the Italian Nachos at Johnny Carino’s.
Ohhhh so very good!
What are Italian Nachos?
Crispy pasta chips with ground Italian Sausage and or sliced grilled chicken, pepperoncini peppers, black olives, Roma’s tomatoes and jalapenos. Topped with creamy Alfredo sauce, melted mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Due to the fact that I didn’t have jalepenos or Pepperochini peppers . . . I had to omit them.
Diced green chilies would also be good.
So . . . before you commit totally to an extreme workout regimen, you must make these.
I started by frying the won tons. I always use a Big Deep Fry Daddy . . . No mess!
Sprinkle them lightly with Sea Salt. Don’t eat them yet.
Cook some ground Italian Sausage. I buy the lean sausage and it’s every bit as good as the regular.
Slice some grilled Chicken Breast thinly and set aside.
Dice a couple of Roma Tomatoes, and slice some firm Black Olives, and prepare the peppers if desired.
Grate your Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese.
Make the delicious Garlic, Parmesan Alfredo Sauce to drizzle over the top of the Nachos.
You will be tempted to drink it . . . but don’t!
Now you are ready to assemble your delicious Italian Nachos.
*If you plan to melt the Mozzarella cheese over the chips . . . prepare the Nachos and then place in the microwave just until cheese is melted.
I somehow forgot all about my grated Mozzarella cheese. Out of sight out of mind!
Therefore . . . don’t place your grated Mozzarella cheese in the fridge while you dice and slice!
Somehow . . . we didn’t miss it at all . . . they were gobbled up quickly.
I think you might need to get a bit closer. Look at the shaved Parmesan.
Now . . . if you happen to be Vegan as is jabberwocky . . . leave the Chicken and the Sausage off. Still good.
ITALIAN NACHOS – Johnny Carino’s style
cut on the diagonal to form triangles
(sometimes found in the salad section) *
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, or other good-quality Parmesan
- In a heavy, medium saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Add the garlic and then the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the half-and-half little by little. Cook until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; add 2 cups of the grated Parmesan. Season with the salt, pepper and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside. *If the sauce becomes a bit thicker than you might like, simply add some milk or more half & half.
- Heat a heavy saucepan or deep fryer to medium. Cook the wontons until light brown. This only takes a few seconds per side. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Pile the wontons on a large serving platter. Drizzle with warm cheese sauce. Add sausage, chicken, tomatoes, olives and peppers. Top with shaved Parmesan. EAT IT!
- You can also assemble the plate of Nachos, then sprinkle grated Mozzarella over all, and heat in the microwave just until cheese is melted.