“Occasionally, we are graced with the presence of an earth bound Angels. For one reason or another, these angels are unable to stay with us for very long. While they are here though, they touch many hearts, sacrifice much, & some leave life giving gifts.”
Last week my lil sister Jamie, was blessed with a much needed kidney transplant. This really was a miracle. Jamie’s antigen levels made finding a donor kidney almost impossible. To make a long story short, what has to be the most painful & difficult time in one families life, is also the result of much relief, happiness and a gift that is life sustaining. Our gratitude to this family will be in our hearts forever.
This gift quickly humbles you to your knees!
I love you Jamie.
We like angel food cake in this house. It’s my husbands fav. He likes it just plain jane though.
I’ve seen many recipes on Pinterest and Instagram that take a box of angel food cake, add a few ingredients and make a spectacular cake. When I received a cookbook in the mail called: Quick & Easy Dump Cakes by Cathy Mitchell, I was first drawn to a recipe which required a box of angel food cake.
I like Apple pie, but to be honest, I’ve not a fan of Apple cake, unless it’s loaded with chocolate chips! What the heck . . . I thought. As I read through the recipe it was so simple.
- 1 package angel food cake mix
- 1 can apple pie filling
- brown sugar
- chopped nuts
Simply mix the can of pie filling + cinnamon into the dry cake mix and mix together. The brown sugar and the nuts is sprinkled over the top of the batter and baked. Pretty darn simple. I figured that a few chocolates chips and toffee pieces wouldn’t hurt but rather help the situation!
If you like Apple Cake, you will really like this. I loved the top of this cake. In fact . . . it was very hard NOT to eat the entire top of this cake! I wasn’t sure if I was a fan of the bottom of the cake. The texture was a bit different for me.
Ice cream on the warm cake with melting chocolate chips, toffee and the crunchy top of that angel food cake . . . was to die for. Score 10
The bottom . . . well, mmmmm. Score 3.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Next time I’m just making a regular angel food cake in a 9x 13 pan as per the package direction on the box. I think I will add chocolate chips to the top, along with toffee pieces and maybe even coconut. YUM.
Let me know what you think?
- 1 package (16 ounces) one - step angel food cake
- * use a one-step angel food cake mix that requires only water
- 1 can (21 ounces) regular or no-sugar apple pie filling
- *Use a sharp knife to cut through the apples while still in the can to make smaller pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or other nut
- optional: chocolate chips, toffee pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry cake mix, apple pie filling and cinnamon in large bowl. Batter will thicken up during mixing; do not over mix.
- Spread batter in prepared pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and walnuts, and optional chocolate chips and toffee pieces if desired.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool in pan 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Makes 12 servings.