The other day, we went on a hunt.
A Big Hunk Hunt.
We failed miserably, and came home without even one.
They certainly aren’t my favorite candy bar . . . but the hubbie really likes them.
He doesn’t love anything sweet – except for me of course.
So . . . I went on a hunt of my own.
I found Homemade Big Hunk recipes!
according to the Big Hunk expert . . . these homemade versions are MUCH BETTER!
I’ve made both recipes now, and they are BOTH really good.
However, the easier version with the Marshmallow fluff is our favorite.
That really surprised me!
In fact . . . I’ve made that version twice now.
I added Chocolate to the top of half .
LOOK . . . LOOK BARS!
These really are fast & simple to make.
The wrapping is the time consuming part.
Start by buttering a large sheet pan, and scatter a bottle of Dry Roasted Peanuts over the butter.
You will need 3 small containers of fluff, or one large and one small.
Place the Marshmallow fluff, butter chunks, salt & vanilla in the bowl.
Yes….I’m not using the brand FLUFF . . . the Marshmallow cream works just as well.
It’s o.k. just add it now, even though the recipe tells you a bit differently.
Set it aside while you make the syrup mixture.
It is sugar & Karo Syrup . . . that’s it.
Note: I also buttered the sides of my Old pot.
Stir to combine and place on Medium High Heat. Stir, stir, Stir.
Once it comes to a boil, clip a candy thermometer to the edge of your pan.
Let it boil until the thermometer reaches 280 degrees.
Remove the pan from the heat, and let it sit for two minutes.
DO NOT STIR DURING THE TWO MINUTE WAIT!
Pour the hot syrup over the top of the fluff and butter.
DO NOT SCRAPE THE PAN – JUST POUR IT OUT UNTIL IT STOPS POURING – AND DISCARD WHAT’S LEFT.
Stir – stir – Stir, until it’s smooth and all blended together.
See . . . mine still needs some stirring, but I stopped to take a picture!
Once it’s nice & smooth, pour it evenly over the nuts.
You could also leave the nuts out – and add those cut up ju ju candies.
That’s also quite good!
If you plan to add chocolate to the top, do it while the candy is still warm.
You can melt a large bar of chocolate like I did . . . or simply melt some chocolate chips.
Once the candy is set, cut into squares and wrap in wax paper.
Store in a container with a lid, and you’ll have perfect bite size BIG HUNKS!
Yum. Yum. and more Yum!
BIG HUNK NOUGAT CANDY BAR
- Part 1:
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 small egg whites
- Part 2:
- 3 c. sugar
- 3 c. light corn syrup
- 4 t. vanilla
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1 t. salt
- 3 c. redskin peanuts (grandma uses slivered almonds)
- To make part one, combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook at low boil to the soft ball stage (238°).
- When syrup reaches 230°, beat egg whites until they stand in peaks.
- When syrup reaches 238°, add it in a fine stream to egg whites, beating constantly with electric mixer on medium speed, until mixture becomes thick and is lukewarm.
- To make part two, combine sugar and corn syrup in a 4 qt. heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, to the soft crack stage (275°).
- Meanwhile, place part 1 in a lightly buttered large heavy bowl. Pour hot candy (part 2) over it all at once. Mix with heavy wooden spoon. Slowly add vanilla and melted butter, continuing to stir. Add salt and nuts and mix again. Turn onto a well buttered jelly roll pan. Cut and wrap with waxed paper when cooled.